Monday, August 20, 2018

Instant Pot Pumpkin Oatmeal

For a while now I've been seeing friends comment or post about the Instant Pot, raving how good it is. Not to mention seeing the recipes that they've been posting! YUMMY!

First off, WTH is an Instant Pot?!?!?!?!

From my quick searches its a pressure cooker, crock pot, steamer, sauteer (I don't think that's a word) etc, etc, etc, etc all in one. Now, if you plan to get one, all my peeps out there kept telling me to only get the Instant Pot brand; no other brand will do.

What's a girl to do?

Lord knows I LOVE me some kitchen appliances and I waited a LONG time to finally get an Instant Pot. As with many of my kitchen gadget purchases I had to purchase this, well I was trying to, without Chuck knowing. He thinks we have too many kitchen gadgets that go unused. And although he may be correct in some cases he's not always correct about my kitchen gadgets. I would use the Kitchen Aide mixer a lot more but he seems to think that it's his and I'm not allowed to use it. I giggle, mostly on the inside, when he gets all possessive about that dam mixer!

After doing a little research I found that Kohl's had the Instant Pot Ultra 10-in-1 on sale and was offering 20% off if you purchased online and had it delivered or you did in-store pickup! SOLD!!!!!!!!! That saved me over $60! I purchased it on Friday morning and picked it up that afternoon.

I texted with my BFF Jill about what I should make first. She says "Start easy. Do the water test first. Read the manual. Then start with the 5-5-5 method for hard boiled eggs or something simple." My reply was "Where's the fun in that? I don't do anything simple or easy. I just jump in!" Jill replied "I know! That's part of why I love you!" AWWW SHUCKS!!!!! LOVE YOU TOO JILL!

I have been wanting Pumpkin Oatmeal for about a week now so I figured why not start out with Oatmeal; how hard can that be? I mean, come on, it's oatmeal!

Chuck and I did do the water test, Jill will be proud of me! But that's where I stopped with the "start easy" way of things. I jumped right in to the oatmeal. I found numerous recipes online but settled on something of my own based on other recipes, because...let's face it...this is how I roll! Buttered roll preferred if you don't mind!

So before I set off on completing a duathlon (see post later today) I set the Instant Pot to make some pumpkin oatmeal! BTW, a "Duathlon" is a thing and yes it is spelled correctly!



You really can't get much simpler than this oatmeal recipe. You can omit the salt if you want, and you can add sweetener if you want. 

I'm not a fan of stone-cut oats; they just aren't my thing. But I do enjoy rolled oats and well Quaker is my favorite. I can't imagine why you couldn't use any other brand so go for it if you want to. Same thing with the pumpkin; I'm a Libby's girl but use whichever brand you want!

Now, this was my first Instant Pot recipe and things didn't go according to plan. Do they ever? UMMM, Yes, Yes they do but this one didn't; however, my results were DELICIOUS!

Make sure you grease the inner Instant Pot bowl with something! I used Pam Cooking Spray but you can do it however you want.  Put all ingredients in the bowl! 

I've seen some recipes where they cook the oatmeal in a glass oven safe bowl instead of directly in the Instant Pot. I'm not really sure why you would do that unless you just wanted to. To each their own! But I'm not using another dish unless I absolutely have to. Chuck gets grumpy when there are tons of dishes for him to clean.


I would recommend adding in some type of sweetener at this point as well. I didn't and added liquid stevia to the individual servings but when I made my Blueberry Zucchini Oatmeal on Sunday I mixed it in while cooking. 

Make sure you stir everything up before closing the lid and turning it on. I know this does not look appetizing but think about the end result. Not to mention, what oatmeal looks appetizing?


My settings.....well this one was more difficult to figure out. There are not a lot of blog posts out there for the Instant Pot Ultra 10-in-1. So I had to take some educated guesses and figure some things out. Bottom line is, you will have to play around with your Instant Pot to get things the way you expect them. 

OK, So based on several other oatmeal recipes I found you set it on Pressure Cook, High, for 4 minutes for rolled oats, with the "Steaming" setting on. Once cooked, you can either release the steam or you can let it continue on it's course. Well if that doesn't help a newbie!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it did not help! I literally scratched my head! CCCCHHHHUUUUCCCKKKKK, can you come help me! "Why of course dear!"

When I set all of this, and then went out for a 5K run (the first part of the duathlon), Chuck heard the Instant Pot beep and then it displayed "BURN". AHHHHH! My biscuits, I mean OATMEAL, are burning! 

Now all of this was unbeknownst to me. Who would have thought you could burn oatmeal in this thing. Everyone keeps saying that it is fool proof! Well Guess What???? It was! YUP, It was fool proof!

Chuck let the steam out and did nothing else to it. I'm sure figuring that the oatmeal was burnt and that I would clean it up! Silly man, he knows I don't do dishes!

However, when my run was over I came up to hear that the oatmeal was burnt. I had a sad sad face because I was really looking forward to pumpkin oatmeal before my 18 mile bike ride (2nd part of the dauthlon). YES, I wrote that number correctly!

Guess what, Ladies and Gentlemen? The oatmeal was perfect and did not burn! When I opened up the Instant Pot, the oatmeal was pumpkiny goodness! It smelled amazing and I couldn't wait to have a bowl!







I immediately separated it into four servings and set out to try it. Remember, I didn't put any sweetener in this to begin with. Bad choice Karen! OK, so I added the liquid Stevia to my individual serving at this point which had it tasting so much better. I also added some chopped walnuts to mine and sat down to have lunch!

NOW, what I learned when making my 2nd batch of oatmeal (Blueberry Zucchini) was that I should have used the "Porridge" setting on my Instant Pot Ultra. The Directions for this recipe are based on that much better experience.
Finished Oatmeal!

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 cup Quaker Rolled oats (uncooked)
  • 2 1/4 Cups Water
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • OPTIONAL: Sweetener of choice (not included in Nutrition Facts)
  • OPTIONAL: Nuts, raisins, any topping (not included in Nutrition Facts)
Directions
  1. Use non-stick spray for the bottom and sides of the inner Instant Pot pan. 
  2. Mix in all the ingredients in the Instant Pot; stir well.
  3. Set the Instant Pot to "Porridge", High, for 6 minutes, "Steaming". 
  4. Once it is done, release the steam and serve!
Nutritional Information (via MyFitnessPal)


As many of you know, I am not a professional cook and do things my own way all the time. I do however enjoy posting about my experiences and have fun while doing it. I hope you have fun  making Instant Pot Pumpkin Oatmeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment