Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Zoey's 1st 5K training day!

The Medal!

When I got the email about the "Princess Dash 5K" Zoey went head over heels for this medal. She was screaming and jumping up and down saying "I WANT THAT MEDAL! PLEASE MOMMY, PPLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!" 

This is SOOO ZOEY!!!!!!!!

Now, if I were Chuck he would have said "OK Sweetie, you can have the medal". He would have bought it for her and given it to her right away. 

But I'm MOMMY and I don't roll that way. I said "Zoey, I will get you that medal, but you have to earn it." OH the look on her face when she said "What does that mean?" I'm telling you it took serious strength to keep in the laughter!

As I'm telling Zoey that she will have to train for a 5K and actual run a 5K in order to earn this medal she actually thought twice about it. Oh to see the little wheels in her head turning on this!

She finally agreed after talking to me about what the training was. I told her "When you are ready to start training we'll do it". Well that day never came yet she still expects the medal. So yesterday, I decided to start her training. To say that Zoey was not at all thrilled would be an understatement. But I was tired of her waiting and the day for the Princess Dash 5K is coming up fast. 

Sweat & Tears

After picking Jesse up from camp and talking to him about what Zoey needed to do he was all in. He says "I can help Zoey train, no problem! This will be fun...well you know she's going to cry right?" HA HA HA, so right you are son. So right you are!

Zoey was not impressed to find out we were starting her training. Part of me thinks that she thought I was truly going to just hand over the medal and that would be the end of it. WRONG baby girl! You have to work hard in life and earn what you want! I'm using this as a serious life lesson for my beautiful blue eyed blondie!

We get to Stockton University's track and Zoey is getting nervous! We've done some workouts at the Absegami High School track but never at Stockton's track so I think she felt a little overwhelmed. But persevere we must!

I'm using the Couch to 5K program with her just like I did with Jesse. Intervals of walking and running to get you out there. Zoey is an athlete, she swims all the time, she's always outside playing, she can do this! Jesse was so pumped and he was giving her a pep talk before starting out. 

Matter of fact they even tried using the chin up bar a couple of times before we set out. 

Week 1 Day 1
5 Minute Walking Warmup
60 Second Run followed by a 90 Second Walk (8 full times)
5 Minute Walking Cooldown

During the first run Zoey couldn't figure out her breathing. So on the walk we talked more about it and Jesse gave her additional pointers. 

The 2nd run I thought was going very well until her show came untied and then Zoey became unhinged. The tears began, and then the runny nose.....

Lord help me but we got her shoe tied, wiped her nose on her shirt, and kept going. I'm not going to let her give up! 
Then MORE TEARS!

As we continued the running/walking intervals, which by the way I made her keep up with me at my pace. She can most certainly do this as I am not a fast runner. The tears kept coming faster and faster. At one point, I got right in her face to startle her. Now some folks may think this is wrong, but you have to know my daughter, WHICH I KINDA DO BEING HER MOMMA AND ALL, that you have to get her to refocus on something else. All she was focused on was "This is hard and I don't want to do it". 

Once we got her to calm down, a little bit, Jesse started talking to her about a positive attitude and thinking about the bright side.

First, let me say when did my little man grow up? He has been fairly mature this entire summer and it is impressing the hell out of me!

Second, way to go Jesse! This is exactly what Zoey needed!

TO A HOT MESS! 
You know a mess that is heated!

Well it's what she needed until the same shoe came untied and she almost fell! I know, this wasn't supposed to be an episode of Laurel and Hardy, but apparently Zoey did not get that memo.


Deep breaths, deep breaths.....OK Zoey, let me tie your shoe for you this time. "Please, stop crying. I'm not trying to kill you. You wanted this medal, you have to earn it." Zoey replies through sniffles and needing to wipe her nose again "I just didn't think it was going to be this hard?" I reply "Zoey, everything you want in life comes at a price; you have to decide what is important and work hard to obtain it." Zoey replies with a sniff and a loud huff. Jesse turns his head trying not to laugh. 

When the 5 minute cooldown came up I asked Jesse to stay with Zoey and keep her moving while I continued to run a bit more. Jesse agreed with no problem and actually enjoyed hanging out with his sister. These are rare moments these days so I take them when I can get them!

Zoey (and Jesse) completed her first day of 5K training doing just under 2 miles in 30 minutes. WAY TO GO ZOEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I complete 2.25 miles in 30 minutes. 

Zoey was so hot and tired, she said "I had to take my shoes off". 

I managed to get a smile out of her but it was short lived!

Once she was inside, that was it for a while. My baby girl said No thank you to everything!

Jesse, of course, was topless, needed a muscle shot and didn't break a sweat! Which he was gloating about! How does he run several miles and not break a sweat! I was a stinky, sweaty mess!

The SURPRISE!!!!!!
Because I'm such an awesome Mommy and know that my little girl LOVES unicorns I found her the "Embrace Your Inner Unicorn 5K" medal. So when she completes her office "Princess Dash 5K" she will get a bonus medal. Because....she will have already completed numerous 5Ks during her training; she won't realize that though. OH GEEZ, I just realized after posting this picture that this is for 2019! AHHHH! OK plan B; I'm going to still have this medal because well I already paid for it! BUT, I'm going to find another one for her!


OK I found a 121.1 mile virtual tour race that is all about unicorns! It will actually track how many miles she's completed throughout her training! LOVE IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment